This Sunday is our beloved mom’s 70th birthday. We had grand plans for an epic celebration. That’s until a pandemic decided to get in our way. But our mom is way too important to us that we must celebrate her 70 years. So we’ve planned a virtual birthday party complete with decorations, games, and, of course, birthday cake. Extra special carrot cake cupcakes with floral bouquet frosting for our extra special mom.
Happy Birthday Mom. We think we turned out great. Thank you!
1 box of carrot cake mix, plus ingredients on the back of the box
Homemade cream cheese buttercream frosting dyed pink and orange
- 1 cup salted butter (2 sticks), at room temperature
- 1/2 cup Crisco
- 8 oz. cream cheese, at room temperature
- 4 cups powdered sugar
- 1 Tablespoon of vanilla extract
- 2 Tablespoons of almond milk
First, cream the butter and Crisco in a mixing bowl. Mix on low speed for a couple of minutes until smooth and creamy. Add in the vanilla and cream cheese and mix again until very smooth. Gradually add the powdered sugar until it’s all combined. It will be very stiff! Then begin adding milk until you reach the desired consistency for decorating.
Make cupcakes according to the directions on the back of the box.
Decorated the cupcakes using a piping bag and frosting tips to look like a floral bouquet.
Woot woot! It’s Saturday. Our favorite day! Our cheat and treat ourselves day. This week we are preparing for Easter and doing a trial run on a new recipe: Salted Caramel Carrot Poke Cake. Since it’s best after sitting in the refrigerator over night, it’s a perfect make-the-night-before and travel-with-the-next-day dessert. Why not take this “EGG”TRA-ORDiNARY yumminess to your Easter celebration? Every”bunny” will love it!!!
Salted Caramel Carrot Poke Cake
- 1 box Carrot Cake Mix
- 1 package Instant Vanilla Pudding
- 4 Eggs
- ½ cup Milk
- 1 cup Sour Cream
- ¾ cup Canola Oil
- 1½ cups Chopped Pecans
- 14 oz. can Sweetened Condensed Milk
- 1 container of cream cheese frosting
- Smuckers SaltedCaramel Sauce
- ½ cup Chopped Pecans
- Preheat 350 F.
- Combine cake ingredients except for Sweetened Condensed Milk and mix until combined.
- Pour batter into a greased 9 x 13 inch pan.
- Bake for 40-45 minutes.
- Let cake cool completely. Do not remove cake from pan, it cannot stand on its own.
- Once cake has cooled, use a skewer to evenly poke the cake about 25 – 40 times.
- Pour sweetened condensed milk over the cake and let set over night.
- Once cake has set spread frosting over the cake.
- Heat opened Salted Caramel Sauce jar in the microwave for 20 – 30 seconds.
- Pour SaltedCaramel Sauce over the frosting and top it with chopped pecans.
*recipe adapted from Living Better Together