We’re shaking with excitement over all the hoopla surrounding Halloween. There’s only 4 weeks left until this spooktackular day. Good thing we’ve carved out some time each Saturday to create some special potions. Today our cauldron is full of little creepy crawlers. Normally, we’d never get this close to a spider, but when they are this darling and oh so tasty how could we resist! Our Not-So Spooky Spider Cookies are creeping their way into our mouths and we like it!
- 1/2 cup Butter Flavored Crisco Sticks
- 1 cup sugar
- 1 egg white
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour*
- 48 thin pretzel sticks, broken in half
- 24 brown m&ms
- 48 yellow, green, orange, and red m&ms
- black icing pen
*Spoon & Sweep method: Use a spoon to fill measuring cup with flour until required amount is obtained. Scooping measuring cup directly into flour bag will firmly pack flour resulting in too much flour required for recipe.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- Cream Crisco and sugar until light and fluffy using an electric mixer, about 3 minutes.
- Add egg white and vanilla. Beat until combined.
- Add cocoa, baking soda, baking powder, and flour.
- Shape dough into 1-inch balls. Roll. Add 4 pretzel sticks to each side of the cookie, making 8 legs.
- Place on baking sheets, 2 inches apart. Bake for 9 to 11 minutes. When the cookies come out of the oven, place a brown m&m in the center of each cookie. Add a matching pair of m&ms for eyes while the cookies are still warm. Put a dot of black icing in the middle of the m&ms for the eye balls.
- Allow to cool slightly, then transfer to wire racks to cool completely.
*recipe inspired by Imperial Sugar