It’s that time of year again. You know the one…when the kids head back to school! There’s something magical about the smell of pencil shavings, fresh paper in notebooks, and new school clothes. At our homes there’s also the smell of warm Magic Bar Cookies baking in the oven. After school they’ll do just the trick and are sure to vanish before our eyes.
3/4 cup (1 1/2 sticks) Crisco butter flavored sticks
3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup graham crackers and crumbs
1 cup dark chocolate chips
3/4 cup butterscotch chips
3/4 cup sweetened shredded coconut
- To the bowl of a stand mixer fitted with the paddle attachment, combine the Crisco, sugars, egg, vanilla, and beat on medium-high speed until well-creamed, light and fluffy.
- Stop, scrape down the sides of the bowl, and add the flour, cornstarch, baking soda, salt, and mix until just combined, about 1 minute.
- Add the graham crackers), chocolate chips, butterscotch chips, coconut and beat momentarily to incorporate, less than 1 minute, or fold in by hand.
- Preheat oven to 350F, spray with cooking spray. Make 2 inch mounds of dough and place on baking sheet, spaced at least 2 inches apart Bake for 8 to 9 minutes. Allow cookies to cool on the baking sheet for about 5 minutes before removing and transferring to a rack to finish cooling.
* recipe adapted from Averie Cooks