It’s Independence Day and we are celebrating the good ole USA! What’s more American than pie? However, we’re not making your ordinary, run of the mill apple pie. We need a treat so tasty it’s worthy of sending firecrackers to our taste buds. We can’t think of a better way to show our patriotic spirit and honor our country than with our red, white, and blue festive Fourth Of July Chocolate Chip Pie! Time to party!
- 1/2 cup Butter Flavored Crisco
1 large egg
3/4 cup light brown sugar, packed
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1 tablespoon vanilla extract
1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 cup dark chocolate chips
about 1/2 cup M&Ms (We picked out the red, blue, and brown ones)
about 1/4 cup Mini Rolos
- Preheat oven to 350F. Spray a 9-inch pie dish very well with cooking spray; set aside.
- In a large, microwave-safe bowl melt the butter, about 1 minute on high power.
- Wait momentarily before adding the egg so you don’t scramble it. Add the egg, sugars, vanilla, and whisk until smooth.
- Add the flour, optional salt, and stir until just combined; don’t overmix.
- Stir in the chocolate chips.
- Add about 1/4 cup M&Ms and stir to combine; reserve remainder.
- Turn batter out into prepared pie dish, smoothing the top lightly with a spatula.
- Evenly add the remaining M&Ms to the top of the batter, pushing them down slightly to anchor.
- Evenly insert the Mini Rolos into the batter, pushing them down so the top is almost flush with the surface of the dough.
- Bake for about 24 to 26 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out mostly clean, or with a few moist crumbs, but no batter. If your pie has risen in the center, it will deflate as it cools. Allow pie to cool in dish for at least 30 minutes before slicing and serving.
*Recipe adapted from www.averiecooks.com