So I was walking down the aisle in Trader Joe’s the other day and I had an “a-ha” moment when I spotted this little beauty: Trader Joe’s Speculoos Cookie Butter. We’ve never really been into peanut butter treats, but cookie butter, now that ‘s something we’ve got to try. One spoonful and we were both hooked. We knew we had to find a way to use it in this week’s treat. We found a delicious recipe that combined caramel and cookie butter in a blondie bar. We added dark chocolate chips to the mix, making them irresistible. Next time you’re at a Trader Joe’s you’d be crazy not to pick up a jar!
Chocolate Caramel Cookie Butter Blondies
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) unsalted butter
- 2 cups brown sugar
- 1/2 cup Trader Joe’s Speculoos Cookie Butter
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup dark chocolate chips
- 1 cup Kraft Caramel Bits
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Grease or spray a 9×13-inch pan.
2. Over medium heat, melt the butter and brown sugar in a small saucepan, stirring constantly. Melt until smooth. Remove from heat and stir in cookie butter until incorporated. Pour into a large bowl to cool.
2. While that is cooling, combine flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a separate bowl.
3. Add one egg at a time into the cooled butter/brown sugar mixture, mixing well. Add vanilla extract and stir until combined. Add in the dry ingredients and stir until just combined.
4. Spread the batter into the prepared pan. Sprinkle the chocolate chips and caramels over the top, pressing down lightly into the batter.
5. Bake at 350 degrees for 20 to 25 minutes or until set and golden brown. Cool slightly in pan, but cut into squares before caramels harden.
*recipe adapted from Rachel Cooks
**Today’s sweet treat was made in memory of Bob Funk to honor his “pure love of life and all things sweet”.